It’s only natural to get nostalgic for the “good old days” when the holidays roll around. Mom and Dad made everything so special, and you may wish they could have just one more really great holiday in their home.
Take a look at why a move to senior living before the holidays might actually be the greatest gift they could receive—a new start in a worry-free, exceptional setting where they can celebrate their retirement every day of the year.
Why consider a move to senior living now, and not wait until after the holidays?
Chances are, the holidays have changed a great deal for your parents, as well as your entire family. Busy schedules, work demands, children’s social lives, and more… it all means that the idyllic greeting card version of what a holiday is all about has long passed.
In fact, if you’re honest with yourself, you probably have realized your parents may not be enjoying holidays as much as they’d like. Things just aren’t as simple as they used to be.
For instance, it might be too taxing to get the house ready for guests. Storing decorations year-round, setting up a tree, coordinating food for family get-togethers, and other tasks that used to be managable most likely have become too complicated. Then there’s the challenge of bad weather or heavy traffic that can cause you or your siblings to miss a family holiday.
Download our free guide,
Think about how much more pleasant the holidays could be
A move to senior living before the holidays would mean:
- Many more opportunities to socialize. Instead of being alone most of the holidays, as residents of a senior living community, your parents can socialize with others continuously if they choose. Listening to carolers, attending holiday events, making new friends, meeting staff, enjoying delicious dining, sharing memories with neighbors are all highlights of the holidays in a senior living community. You never have to get in the car, either.
- Freedom to enjoy beautiful decorations right where they are. Being at home without being able to really add a holiday touch to their surroundings can add a sense of loneliness. A move to senior living means being able to enjoy beautiful decorations, music, colorful lights, and décor and more anytime they choose. Not to mention there are special holiday treats that could range from freshly baked cookies to lively happy hours to possibly a visit from Santa!
- New friends to share holiday memories with. Many of your parents’ friends and neighbors may have likely moved away, meaning fewer visits and very few holiday cards in the mailbox. It can feel quite isolating. But if your parents move to senior living before the holidays, they can anticipate all the celebrating with their new friends and neighbors, share memories of favorite traditions, and make some new ones.
- Ease of inviting family and friends over for occasions. A move to senior living before the holidays removes the stress and worry over how to entertain. There’s a private dining room you can use to get everyone together. Or, your parents might opt to invite you to their apartment for brunch or attend a special event at the community with you. The dining staff is on hand to assist with helping create the perfect menu, while housekeeping means cleanup is a breeze.
- Protection from driving in poor conditions. The holidays seem to always coincide with bad weather or bad traffic jams. Either way, it can keep a family from sharing special moments and leave your parents at home alone. As residents of senior living, they don’t have to drive to be surrounded by merry activities and company. You can have peace of mind knowing they are secure and content.
- Feeling settled and inspired as the New Year dawns. There’s something restorative about starting a new year in a lifestyle offering new freedom and contentment. That’s what a move to senior living before the holidays will give your parents: more time, more companionship, and more peace of mind. A great springboard for the new year!
- Substantial savings on moving costs. Spring and summer are the busiest seasons for movers as so many families are often trying to relocate before school starts. Moving before the holidays can mean saving a great deal on moving vans and crews.
We’d love to tell you more about why senior living St. Mark Village is a celebration all year long!
A focus on total wellness with seamless access to future care options—worth celebrating every day of the year! Download our free guide, Just The Facts: Your Guide to Independent Living. Or contact us. We’d love to hear from you.