A move to senior living can feel like the first day of school. You’re a bit a nervous, not sure you will fit in, hoping you don’t get lost, and wondering what it’s going to really be like. But this time around, you’re not only giving yourself a wonderful vacation from everyday worries, you’re joining a family of like-minded folks ready to welcome and inspire you to explore new experiences.
With a little pre-planning and organization, your move to senior living can be the open door you’ve been waiting for!
What to do before the move to senior living
Your decision to move to a senior living community shows you’re a planner, so most likely you will already have all your official paperwork completed and where you can easily put your hands on it. In addition, it’s important to give the community your exact move-in date.
It’s also helpful to drop by the community before you actually make the move to senior living and re-orient yourself to where things are, such as dining venues, the salon, fitness area and so on. You’ll probably make some new friends, and already feel at home.
Making the move to senior living a breeze
If it’s been a long time since you moved anywhere, you might ask the community’s move-in coordinator for a list of suggested items to have with you the first night. In fact, you’ll want to put these in a box labeled “first night” and have it where you can quickly access it. Some items to include are:
- A pillow and bed linens
- A clock
- A small lamp and light bulb
- A few coffee cups and a water glass
- A coffee pot or tea kettle
- Favorite snacks
- Napkins/paper plates/plastic utensils
- Bath soap & toothpaste
- Bath towel/dish towel
- Comfortable clothes
- Shaving kit for a man/cosmetics for a woman
- Items for pet if needed
At St. Mark Village, we want our residents to be able to make every day a delight. That means helping them find comfort, happiness and meaning in everything they do. And we believe that starts the very first day you’re in our community!
Here are some suggestions:
• Be social. Everyone knows moving day can be a blur, and your new neighbors have been through it as well. But be sure to stop and greet those residents and staff members who drop by to just say hello. They might have even more good ideas on how to make your move to senior living a success. And it’s a great excuse to take a mini-break, which is vital for maintaining your energy.
• Get the basics in place. As much as you can, arrange your essential items early in the day, before you get too tired. Make your bed, set up the clock, plug in a coffee maker, find your light bulbs for your lamps. Get out your bathroom items such as towels, soap, and bath mat and have those in place. Whatever will help you feel comfortable, at home, and safe is what you want out and ready before your head hits the pillow that evening.
• Review the possibilities. Chances are, you’ve seen an activities calendar already. Take a break and give it a new look. Just realizing all the ways you can stay active and engaged, meet new friends, and chart a new course can be energizing. A move to senior living is an invitation to do the things that have always been in the back of your mind—now you can give yourself permission to make them happen!
• Relish your first meal. Don’t get depleted; snack throughout the day and be sure to have at least one good meal. You might take up a neighbor’s invitation to join them for dinner in one of the community’s venues. Or, you might prefer to have a meal brought to your apartment if you’re a bit weary. The great news is you’ll have much to choose from.
At St. Mark Village, you can savor everything from a five-course meal to homemade soup, salads and sandwiches or treats from the Village Bakery. The goal: take a break and treat yourself to wonderful cuisine!
• Get some rest. You’ve made it! You’re about to embark on a carefree lifestyle that inspires you to embrace your independence as never before. So exhale, relax, put your feet up and congratulate yourself on a successful move to senior living—and a brand new future!
It’s good to be excited about what lies ahead: a wonderful lifestyle, with seamless access to future care options. Download our free guide, Successful Transitions to Senior Living, or contact us . We’d love to hear from you!