Moving anywhere at any time of the year is never really easy, but there are ways to make it a smoother, more positive experience—one that could set the tone for this next exciting phase of life. And while a move to senior living during the holidays has its own challenges, it also has its own benefits.
At St. Mark Village, we are here to help you, because we believe that once you’ve made to the move to senior living, you will have much to celebrate all year long!
7 Ways to Make a Holiday Move to Senior Living Easier:
1. Get the whole family involved. The holidays are always a great time to get together. Grandchildren are coming home from college, adults are taking some time off, out-of-town friends and relatives are stopping by. So why not make a move to senior living a holiday event? Whether it’s helping you finish downsizing, making choices for how you’ll decorate your new living space, or simply being present and adding a positive vibe, getting the whole family involved is a great idea.
2. Have the right attitude. Any move involves saying goodbye as well as saying hello. But from the start, remind yourself what a wonderful gift of freedom and adventure you are giving yourself with a move to senior living. You’re leaving behind worries of home maintenance, daily chores, uncertainty about what to do when the power goes out, and so much more—and saying hello to days spent with stimulation and inspiration.
At St. Mark Village, we like to say a move to senior living lets you create the lifestyle you’ve always wanted, surrounded by more friends and more opportunities to pursue your passions. You’re free to enjoy it all. Plus, at St. Mark Village, you have the reassurance of seamless access to future care options—a Life Care Promise you will appreciate.
3. Join in community holiday activities. The holidays are a wonderful time to visit senior living communities. Beautiful decorations brighten the interiors, events are geared for special music and traditions, residents are out and about in a joyful mood. Be sure to take time to drop by the community for events so you can start feeling a part of community life. You’ll likely find both residents and staff in a festive mood.
Download our free guide, Successful Transitions to Senior Living
4. Pack a “holiday box” to open right away. No matter what day you move into your new apartment, you can jumpstart your holiday mood. Put together a simple box with a few favorite decorations and items that always touch your heart during the holidays. Maybe it’s cherished cards from loved ones, or drawings from your adult child’s elementary school days. Set them out, turn on holiday tunes, and enjoy your favorite holiday treat as you organize your new home.
5. Meet your neighbors. A move to senior living during the holidays gives you a conversation starter right off the bat—sharing stories of your favorite holidays with those around you. In fact, the holidays are just right for inviting over a few of your neighbors and staff members for a coffee break or happy hour in your new apartment. Don’t worry if it’s not all arranged; they will appreciate your friendliness and most likely, you’ll make some lasting friendships!
6. Maintain your favorite holiday traditions. Remember, there’s no need to stop doing the things that have always brought you joy during the holidays. If you have always gone to church with your family on Christmas Eve, there’s no need to stop. Love to decorate cookies with your grandchildren? Now you’ll have a new kitchen in which to create some magic.
While it’s great to be open to new ideas and new ways of having fun, a move to senior living also means you’re free to hold on to what is most dear to you—times with family and friends—and holiday traditions that will always live in your heart. Only now, you’ll have more time to experience everything.
7. Plan for the New Year. Looking ahead is always a good plan. At St. Mark Village, we believe that learning new things, trying new experiences, and reimagining what’s possible lets you embrace your independence as never before. Look at your move to senior living as an invitation to do all the things you’ve always wanted to do: reconnect with old friends, learn a foreign language, write a family history, walk with a friend each morning. Write down some goals. Let your imagination be your guide!
A move to senior living is a gift you can enjoy all year—and the holidays is the perfect time to start!
Ready to have the time of your life? Download our free guide, Successful Transitions to Senior Living, or contact us. We’d love to hear from you!